Dear WGSD Family,
As I’m pretty certain you are aware (if not you will be after reading this), the Webster Groves School District is currently exploring safety and space in the district including our space issues related to continued enrollment growth. The timeline of events at this link https://www.webster.k12.mo.us/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=26048&dataid=28132&FileName=EnrollmentSpaceTimeline.pdf was shared with the district’s Board of Education last Monday evening. While the timeline includes some finer details, those of you who have attended the community forums will notice that overall the timeline is consistent with what’s been shared at each gathering.
We continue to be very interested in what each of you, and all district stakeholders, have to say on this topic. As the timeline notes, there will be a variety of upcoming opportunities for you to contribute to this important decision-making process – regardless of whether you have ever had children attend district schools. Our invitation for you to participate in this process is sincere, and it’s my hope that you take the opportunity to do so!
Each child, Each day…John
- The grand opening of Dr. Henry Givens Jr. Elementary School took place earlier this month and attendees enjoyed hearing from the invited guests, especially Dr. Givens himself!
- Congratulations to the three National Merit semifinalists, Nicolaus Braun, Luke Burbee and John Porthouse, and four National Merit Commended Students, John Arbuckle, Isabelle Blake, Leah Cooke and Gabriel Mitchell!
- September 25 was “Jackson Bontty Day” in Webster Groves! Jackson was recognized for recently attaining the level of Eagle Scout.
- Members of the Webster Groves School District Board of Education, Eric Dunn (math teacher at WGHS) and John Simpson (superintendent) presented at the Missouri School Boards’ Association (MSBA) Annual Fall Conference this past weekend on the topics: Teacher Compensation and Issues Committees and the Board Self-Evaluation Process.
- Congratulations to Lamar Jackson, a sophomore at Webster Groves High School, who completed the University of Missouri-St. Louis Bridge Program. The Bridge Program provides students in grades nine through 12 with educational experiences, college planning, and social and professional lessons necessary for the transition into college. Students in the program attended classes and workshops on the UMSL campus.
- The annual Ivory Crockett Run for Webster is quickly approaching. This family fun run includes a 5K run, 1 mile fun run, 100 yd dash, pancake breakfast and kid’s activities. The run will start and end on Selma Ave, right in front of Webster Groves High School. The pancake breakfast and activity fair will take place inside the high school. We are currently organizing volunteers for this great event.We would love your support this year! If you are able to volunteer or would like to run/walk in the event, please click on the run website at:
- You’re invited to attend the parent workshop “Teens Starving for Intimacy: An Epidemic of Disconnect in the Age of Connection” on Monday, October 29th from 6:00-7:30 p.m. in the Steger/Givens auditorium. Details on this workshop can be found by clicking HERE.
- Please contribute your thoughts regarding the food service program in the WGSD: https://goo.gl/forms/l2X3gotfQ2o8WYYw2.
- Don’t forget! If you have questions or comments for the Board of Education, plan to attend the next “Let’s Talk” session with the board, from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, Oct. 1 at St. Louis Bread Co. in Webster Groves.The next session will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Wed., Nov. 7 at Global Brew in Rock Hill.
- To learn more about the ongoing work of the district’s Human Resources Department including some interesting data related to district staff, click here: https://goo.gl/KaSyDq.