Dear WGSD Family,
A hallmark of the Webster Groves School District community and the five cities which encompass it, is the priority placed on relationships and personal care for one another. I’ve lived and worked in other places throughout my career, and I can assure you that we have something special here!
One of my favorite events which epitomizes our care for one another is the annual Back to School BBQ at Ivory Crockett Park. Each year hundreds of students, families, staff members, and community members converge at this great park to enjoy some delicious food, play games, and build or deepen relationships. This event is a favorite of the Simpson family and many others, and we hope to see you there from 11 – 1 pm on Saturday, August 11!
Each child, Each day…John
- A renaming ceremony for Dr. Henry Givens Jr. Elementary School will be held at 5 p.m. Sept. 6 at the school, 701 N. Rock Hill Rd. The Board of Education approved changing the name of the Webster Groves Elementary Computer School following a presentation on work done by a school committee.
- Around 200 teachers, staff, and administrators participated in a variety of professional development this summer in support of our students’ learning and overall well-being. STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math), social justice, and professional learning communities were among the topics explored.
- Check out the fresh new look to our district website that is now more mobile-friendly: http://www.webster.k12.mo.us.
- The district is nearing completion of our districtwide conversion from fluorescent to LED lighting which uses approximately 1/3 the electricity of fluorescent lights.
- Annually the district completes a variety of projects around the district. This summer, new flooring can be found in the hallways and locker rooms at Hixson Middle School!
- An Enrollment Space Committee comprised of district stakeholders will meet this fall to help develop options for what might be done to address our space needs due to increasing enrollment. To view the report the Board of Education was given on June 30 related to space and enrollment, please go to the following link: https://goo.gl/fUhAxT.
- Over the past year, the Webster Groves School District partnered with leaders from Metropolitan Congregations United and the Webster Groves Police Department in order to better clarify the role and responsibilities of the school resource officer in schools. The MOU will continue to be revisited annually and as needed. Click here to view the 18-19 MOU: https://goo.gl/5CJWsr.
- Join the next class of inductees into the Webster Groves High School Statesmen Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, October 20th.This year’s banquet will focus on the sport of track and field. The Statesmen Sports Hall of Fame will induct the 1980 and 1981 girls track teams that placed in the top 4 at the state meet in both years and the girls 4×200 relay team that won the state championship in 1982. Six of the women on those teams will be inducted as individuals and two men who were track athletes from the 1990’s will also be inducted. Four members of the 1980 and 1981 state track teams will also be recognized with their team.
Enjoy a night honoring these Statesmen legends on October 20th at Westborough Country Club in Webster Groves. Cocktails start at 6 pm, dinner is served by 6:30 pm, and the induction ceremony will begin at 7:30 pm. Purchase your $50 ticket(s) by contacting the WGHS Activities Office, (314) 918-4176. Please RSVP by October 10th.
- If you haven’t downloaded the Webster Groves SD app yet, head to the app store and do so now! You won’t want to miss this resource that can be personalized to your children’s schools.
- The WGSD Foundation is partnering with the Kirkwood School District’s Foundation to host a special golf event on October 7. Join me and others from the WGSD as we look to bring the new “Foundation Cup” home! You can learn more and sign up on the Foundation’s website: http://www.wgsdfoundation.org/.