The Webster Groves School District has hired Grace Lee, currently an assistant principal at Parkway Northeast Middle School, as the principal of Hixson Middle School effective July 1.
Dr. Lee has been assistant principal at Northeast for five years. Before that, she taught English language arts in Parkway and was a school social worker in Jennings. She holds a doctorate and master’s degree in educational administration, both from Lindenwood University, as well as a master’s in social work from Washington University and a bachelor’s degree in middle school education from the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
Dr. Lee’s genuine care for both children and adults is central to who she is as a person and as a leader. While described by one Parkway administrator as the “Pied Piper” of students at Northeast Middle School, she also is very outspoken about and known for the high expectations she has for all students. It is clear that she will go to any length to ensure children “know they (children) are seen and know their worth.”
At Northeast Middle School and in the Parkway School District, Dr. Lee has initiated and/or led a number of efforts which have had a positive influence on students and staff. For example, she has led the restorative practices training and work at Northeast Middle. In addition to training staff, which she believes must be prepared in order to provide real-time, in-class support for students, Dr. Lee had a group of approximately thirty children participate in the same restorative professional development as the adults, through a student leadership program she created. Since being trained, some of those students have facilitated restorative circles for children and adults across the St. Louis region. Next, Dr. Lee facilitated a re-write of the 6-8th grade English Language Arts Curricula to make it socially just and aligned across all grade levels. Also, she was co-leader and principal writer for a process that resulted in Parkway Northeast being recognized as a state and national School of Character. Furthermore, this year she initiated an all-school poetry slam in support of students’ creative expression.
We’re very excited for Dr. Lee’s official arrival on July 1!
Each child, Each day…John
- Last week, a beautiful bench and Japanese maple tree were dedicated to Bristol School on behalf of its beloved principal, Nancy Zitzmann, retiring at the end of this school year.
- For the first time ever, WGHS students won first place in the Mechanics division at an area physics competition taking place at Washington University. Students also won second place in the Comprehensive division. Special congratulations to junior Ben Gossow who brought home first place in the individual portion of the Mechanics competition!
- Kudos to Hixson Middle School counselors Linda Peterson and Sarah Bodi, who were recently acknowledged by the St. Louis Suburban School Counselor Association for their presentation on Mindfulness and Yoga at a regional meeting.
- Last Monday, the School Board awarded an honorary diploma to Ralph Naslund of Webster Groves, a World War II veteran who served in the Pacific, then later in Korea as a member of the 40th division, 143rd field artillery battalion and the 160th infantry regiment. Mr. Naslund was drafted six months before he graduated from Roosevelt High School in St. Louis. Board member Arnold Stricker (at left in photo) presented the diploma to Mr. Naslund (at right).After the war, Mr. Naslund returned to St. Louis where he established his own company, Commercial Electric.Congratulations, Mr. Naslund and thank you for your service!
- Check out the interesting art projects taking place during the Art Club at Steger Sixth Grade Center and the Computer School.
- The district will hold a sale of the old High School auditorium seats for interested members of the public from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, May 20. The price will be $10 a seat. Buyers can come in and choose a seat. Once the contractor has removed the seats, we will hold them for pick up in June.
- The annual Jim Schoemehl 5 K Run is May 6. The run, organized by marketing students at Webster Groves High School, benefits ALS research and awareness. Register today! For information and to register, go to the web site http://jims5k.org/
- Last Monday night, Interim Chief Financial Officer Mr. Ellerman shared the long-range budget outlook with the Board of Education. To view the 3 year projection, click here: https://goo.gl/iEikLV
- In support of ensuring “student voice” is central to our work and operations, High School Principal Jon Clark and I are meeting with sophomore students regarding the opportunity they have to apply to be a “student advisor” to the board. Click here for more information: https://goo.gl/JOLz16
- Please mark your calendar for the WGSD Foundation’s Webster On Wheels Event. Check out the information below and click on this link to register: https://goo.gl/3ejGNk