Mr. Howard Fields, 2017-18 Principal of Steger Sixth Grade Center and the Elementary Computer School
Dear Families and Community,
I’m excited to share that on January 23, the Webster Groves School District Board of Education approved the hiring of Howard E. Fields as the new principal of Steger Sixth Grade Center and the Elementary Computer School. Mr. Fields is currently principal of Koch Elementary School in the Riverview Gardens School District.
Throughout the search process, Mr. Fields demonstrated that he would be a thoughtful leader, an empathetic and caring colleague, and someone who would work together with children, staff, parents, the communities of both schools, and others to move with purpose in a direction consistent with our vision for innovation and personalized learning. His leadership work in the Riverview Gardens School District demonstrates his ability to work with a school community to address real needs in creative ways.
He holds graduate degrees from the University of Missouri-St. Louis and will earn a doctorate from UMSL in the spring. Before becoming principal at Koch, he was assistant principal at Westview Middle School, also in Riverview.
Mr. Fields was cited as an Exemplary New Principal in 2015 by the St. Louis Suburban Elementary Principals Association and the Missouri Association of Elementary School Principals as well as one of North County Incorporated’s 30 Leaders in their Thirties in 2016.
Please join me in welcoming Mr. Howard Fields to the Webster Groves School District!
Each child, Each day…John
- Today Avery Elementary was recognized as an Exemplary PLC (Professional Learning Community) School by the state of Missouri! This has been a five-year journey for the team at Avery and they’re very deserving of this special recognition!
- Thanks to your generosity, the WGSD Foundation today announced that the FUNDing Innovation Campaign raised approximately $12,000! Each school will receive $1,200 to initiate or further develop a makerspace.
- Last Friday, the WGHS Wind Symphony and Concert Choir performed for large audiences during the annual conference of the Missouri Music Educators Association. Special congratulations to the choir for being the top choir recognized in Class 6 in the state!
- Three fifth graders at Hudson received grants from the Innovation Technology Education Fund in support of products they’re making.
- George Lock received $250 to create hoodies with Bluetooth speakers in them.
- Preston Dorris and Drew Gerst received $400 for a Lego Mindstorm EV3. They had created a Lego vending machine, and the Mindstorm will make the machine bigger and include a touch button dispensing system.
- The Walter Ambrose Family Center’s early childhood program was recently awarded a $20,000 Child Care Development Fund Grant.
- Audio recordings of board meetings may now be found on the Board web site. To listen to the first recorded board meeting on January 23, click here.
- The 2018-19 district calendar has been approved. Please click here to view it.
- The WGSD’s summer elementary program will offer exciting project-based courses for all interested children. Applications are now available at schools and are due March 3.
- Our virtual “Family Enrichment Fair” will be coming soon. Stay tuned for further information!
- If you live in the Avery (only) attendance area and need to enroll a child in kindergarten for the 2017-18 school year, please contact Hollie Henderson (918-4003) at the district offices to make an appointment.